Tenant FAQs

What are initial monies?

Initial monies are the cleared funds that are required prior to being able to move into a property.  

This will consist of:
    First months rent in advance
    Damage Deposit equal to one months rent plus £50.00
    Administration fee of half of one months rent plus VAT

The holding deposit is deducted from the total amount of the initial monies.  
Initial monies will only be accepted by electronic transfer or by debit/credit card, not by cheque or cash.

Can I request for the Landlord to make changes prior to move in?

Normally we advise that all properties for rent are taken “as seen”, i.e. in the condition that they are when you first view.  If when you view a property there is anything you'd like to ask for the Landlord to carry out prior to taking a Tenancy, then you should make those requests to the branch who will negotiate with the Landlord on your behalf.  This could be painting a room or carpet cleaning for example.

How do I choose the right property?

It is imperative when you are looking for a property to rent, that you make a fully informed decision.  You should consider the rent amount, is it affordable for you?  Is the area where you want to be?  Are you looking for furnished or unfurnished?  Will the landlord accept pets, or children, or smokers or Housing Benefit tenants if you require this?

When you register as an Applicant with Pattinson, we will take as much detail from you as we can to ensure that we match you with the most suitable properties we have available, based on the criteria you provide.

Once you have viewed the available properties and made your choice, we will then guide you through the referencing and move in process.

What is the Holding Deposit?

Once you have everything agreed and you wish to proceed, we will then ask you for a £300.00 holding deposit to secure the property.  This is non refundable, and should you decide to withdraw your application at any point (or should your referencing come back as unsatisfactory), then this will not be returned to you. 
The holding deposit is taken so that the property can be withdrawn from the market for one week to allow for all parties wishing to take the tenancy to be fully referenced.  Once referencing is completed satisfactorily, then this deposit is deducted from your initial monies.  At this point, we will agree with you a prospective move in date.

What is a damage deposit?

A damage deposit, sometimes called a bond, is an amount paid by a tenant and held as security for the property being returned in the same condition as it was initially rented (save for fair wear and tear).

Where is the damage deposit kept?

If you rent your property on an assured shorthold tenancy that started after 6 April 2007, the  damage deposit must be registered in a government-backed tenancy deposit scheme.

We register the damage deposit with The Dispute Service and hold it in a secure client account for all managed properties.  For all Tenancy Only properties, the landlord must register the damage deposit themselves with a relevant scheme.  

Move in day

On your agreed move in day, you will attend the branch local to your property to sign paperwork, pay your initial monies and collect your keys.  You are then legally bound by the terms within the Tenancy Agreement and are officially a tenant of the property.

When you get to your property, you should check that everything is working correctly and take meter readings for your gas, electric and water if applicable.

Inventory and Check In

If you are in a Pattinson fully managed property, you will receive in the post, an Inventory for your new home.  This will detail the contents and condition of the property at the start of your tenancy.  You should check this carefully and make any amendments as you see them.

Your Property Coordinator will then contact you direct to introduce themselves, and arrange a mutually convenient time to come and conduct a Check In of the property with you.  They will check any amendments to the inventory, and assist you with any queries or issues you may have.  A copy of the amended inventory (if applicable) will then be sent out to you by post.  You will need to keep this document safe as you will require it when you decide to leave the property.

If your property is let by Pattinson on a Tenancy Only basis and managed by the landlord, then they will need to provide you with an inventory as this is not provided by Pattinson on this service level.

What about utility bills?

Usual utility bills such as gas, electric, water and council tax are all payable by the tenant.  This also applies to any digital/broadband/satellite services.

Who do I call in an emergency?

If you are dealing direct with the landlord, then you would contact them for any issues or emergencies.  If you are in a Pattinson fully managed property, then at move in you will be provided with the details of our maintenance department and 24 hour emergency helpline numbers.

How do I pay my rent?

When you sign your Tenancy Agreement in the branch, you will be asked to sign a standing order mandate.  This will have either our or the landlord's bank details on so that the standing order can be set up to automatically pay your rent into the relevant account.  We will then send this onto your bank for you.  Please note that this is not a direct debit and we cannot remove money from your account.  It is the tenant's responsibility to ensure that the standing order is received and set up by the bank and we cannot do this on your behalf.

What if I want to leave?

Tenants may give 30 days notice to vacate, in writing, as long as the vacation date is not before the end of the initial term of the tenancy as per the dates on the Tenancy Agreement.

What if I want to extend my tenancy?

Tenants of fully managed properties are automatically contacted in the fifth month of the tenancy to see what their intentions are.  If you wish to renew or extend, we will then contact the landlord on your behalf to discuss options.  If you deal with the landlord direct, then you would need to contact them to discuss renewal or extension options.

How do I hand back the property?

Once you have given notice, then  you will be required to hand back the property in the same condition as when you first took the tenancy (save for fair wear and tear).  If you are in a fully managed property, then you will be contacted by your property coordinator to arrange an appointment on the final day of your tenancy to conduct a check out.

At check out, the inventory from the check in will be checked against the current condition of the property and notes taken relating to any differences/dilapidations/damages.  A full report will be taken including photographs.  

This report is then sent to the landlord for their comments and we negotiate between you and the landlord in regards to any deductions to be taken from the damage deposit.  Once this is agreed, then the damage deposit can be returned/not returned/split as applicable.

What if I don't agree with the damage deposit deductions at end of tenancy?

If there is a dispute at end of tenancy, the relevant Tenancy Deposit Scheme will adjudicate the claim based on the facts provided, such as the Inventory at start and end of tenancy and any additional information and photographs provided.  Their judgement is then binding and the damage deposit will be returned/not returned/split as applicable.

What if the Landlord wants me to leave?

All landlords must serve two months notice on a rent date to regain possession as per the terms of the Tenancy Agreement.  This must expire no sooner than the end of the intial term.